funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Passports Will Be Needed to Buy Mobile Phones

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:42:21 +0100

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:25:41 +0100, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb () byrneit net>
wrote:
Labour were sure to ban guns before moving on to biometrically linking
the personally owned tracking and listening device.

Apologies for dragging out the old firearms ban stuff again; but contrary
to popular knowledge, private ownership of firearms are not banned in the
UK, they are just restricted.

You can get a shotgun licence relatively easily and, if you join a
shooting club (requires Criminal Record Check), then after 6 months you
can apply for a Firearms Certificate (FAC) which allows personal ownership
of certain firearms.

Now, I'll shut up and duck as the old argument kicks off again; if it
makes you feel better I nearly wrote "firewalls are not banned in the UK"
which would've given it a totally different context :-)

dave