funsec mailing list archives

Re: symantec to buy pc tools

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:52:04 -0800

Date sent:              Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:48:04 -0400
From:                   Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>

http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20080818_02

I've got that deju vu feeling again.

Once upon a time, in a land where computer viruses had only started to become a
problem, there were many, many antivirus companies.  Possibly more AV
companies than there were viruses.  One company was called Symantec.  Another
company was called Central Point.  One of Central Point's products was
something called PC Tools, and it made Central Point fairly wealthy.  Lo and
behold, Central Point and Symantec wanted to be even *more* wealthy, so they
started buying competing companies, so there wouldn't *be* as many competing
companies.  As I recall, Symantec gobbled up about 18, and Central Point 12, in
the space of about a year.

Then Symantec bought Central Point.

But Symantec was still, at the time, selling Norton Utilities, so I suppose they
decided to sell PC Tools to someone.

And now they've bought it back.

(I will *never* understand business ...)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.
                                                  - G. K. Chesterton
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/