funsec mailing list archives

Re: facebook messages worm

From: "John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP" <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:44:59 -0500

But there is *SOME* benefit.  Granted, many unsophisticated users don't
check the location bar to verify that they are actually at, say,
citibank.com.  But some do.  I would think the same is true for e-mail,
someone would notice this "Facebook" message isn't from facebook.  Of
course, since no authentication is required to submit PGP keys (unless this
has changed) that might not necessarily be true, but that's a process
question, not a technology one. (i.e. verify the e-mail before allowing
someone to submit a key for that email).

For more important messages, such as say, communication from federal courts
(which also include clickable links), you could easily right spam-filter
rules that look for these highly formatted messages and verify they are, in
fact, signed from the US courts.

A thought.  But yes, it's incrementalism. Sometimes that's all we have.