funsec mailing list archives

Re: FRA 'stopped political murder'

From: "Åke Nordin" <polymorpevz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:10:44 +0200

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Juha-Matti Laurio
<juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
"Sweden's National Defence Radio Establishment (Försvarets
radioanstalt – FRA) prevented a political murder and revealed
that Soviet mock attacks were in fact "prank flights",
reports the Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) newspaper.

This is funny (and thus very appropriate): the FRA (a swedish wannabe
NSA) debacle is covered, telegram style, by a finn. And not a single
swedish comment (until now). We're just a bunch of home-blind lurkers?

But then, it is after all very reasonable: One can assume that Juha
would be rather safe from repression even if good old Swithiod evolves
to a police state *), and the finns generally groks swedish text, so it's
comparably easy to cross check the stories. I suppose I ought to
watch FiCoRa on a similar note, but then my finnish isn't very good...

It is rather an amusing show, seeing the swedish version of Watergate
unfold. Too bad that nice and seemingly down-to-earth P.M. Fredrik
Reinfeldt has been cast as Richard Nixon, but I assume it is logical
in it's own, perverted way: the nice guy with an ambition that does'nt
realize he's been trapped in a system of lies until it is way too late.

There are intriguing parallells with the oil chrisis, mounting terrorism
(scares) and stagflation as well. What liberal democracies are there
out there where the constitutional rights of the common man aren't
just a facade, immigration from the western, anglo-saxon protestant
world is feasible and the IT/telecom industry is healthy?

--
Åke Nordin Unix/net geek, Netia.se consultant, Stacken member.

*) We have very "proud" traditions in that area. This is not the first
time in modern history that we've tried to revive them, I guess the
right wing got dibs on the project this time. I have no illusions
whatsoever that we won't be able to make StaSi and Honecker
look benign in comparison.