funsec mailing list archives

Re: Renesys on 'Internet Vigilantism'

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:34:51 -0400

Thanks for the pointer.  I've just left this comment:

        Three notes: it's not the first time -- there have been other
        examples, to varying degrees, of both the Internet Death Penalty
        and the Usenet Death Penalty. One particularly well-known example
        is AGIS. Another extant example might be the Spamhaus DROP list.

        Second, we have been waiting for law enforcement to do something
        effective about spammers for approximately 25 years. They
        haven't, and they don't show even the tiniest sign that they
        will in the future. Waiting for law enforcement to do something
        is pointless and foolish, as they will only act (and even then,
        incompetently) when it's in their self-interest to do so, e.g.,
        when embarrassed or in need of a PR stunt.

        Third, self-defense isn't vigilantism. There is no requirement
        for anyone to passively endure years (and in the case of Atrivo,
        many years) of abuse while taking no steps to shield themselves
        from it. Nor is it required that anyone passively assist in
        transiting abuse to others while taking no steps to mitigate it.

---Rsk