funsec mailing list archives

U.S. won't confirm report of Chinese hacking

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 23:36:03 -0400

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/29/china.hackers/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Government officials are not confirming a report that
Chinese officials may have secretly copied the contents of a government
laptop computer during a December visit to China by Commerce Secretary
Carlos Gutierrez.

The Associated Press said an investigation into the suspected incident also
involved whether China used the information to try to hack into Commerce
computers.

The AP cited officials and industry experts as sources for the story, which
said the surreptitious copying is believed to have occurred when a laptop
belonging to someone in the U.S. trade delegation was left unattended.

When asked whether the Commerce Department is looking into the matter,
spokesman Richard Mills said, "We take security seriously, and as we learn
of concerns about security, we look into them."

The AP account says that when it asked the Commerce secretary about this
alleged breach, he said, "because there is an investigation going on, I
would rather not comment on that. To the extent that there is an
investigation going on, those are the things being looked at; those are the
questions being asked. I don't think I should provide any speculative
answers."