funsec mailing list archives

Re: Land of the free laptop search

From: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob () appelbaum net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:40:28 -0700

RandallMan wrote:
Funsec sent me:
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:34:43 -0700
From: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob () appelbaum net>
Subject: Re: [funsec] Land of the free laptop search
To: funsec () linuxbox org

Robert Slade wrote:
Ruling: No suspicion needed to search laptops at U.S. borders
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/042308-ruling-no-suspicion-needed-to.html

I'm curious how they intend to break my disk crypto. I'm guessing if you
don't comply, you'll simply lose your laptop without any sort of due
process.

It's a progressive freedom tax!

Sigh,
Jacob

------------------------------

My first thought jacob would be "what do you have to hide".
Secondly, who is protecting me against them on sensitive data I may have?
Aren't we talking about a $9-10 an hour, long day job held by locals?

I have lots to hide. Lets start with business relationships, I have
contracts, diagrams, circuit designs, system access credentials for
clients. You know, stuff that has an economic value to my clients if it
were to be lost? Surely you have something similar?

As far as I can tell, the answer to your second question is really up to
you. If you don't encrypt your data, you're protected by whatever
protections they have in place and not by anything that you can audit,
test or prove.

Their storage and investigation systems are probably already compromised.

Hugs,
Jacob