funsec mailing list archives

Re: Say it ain't so: Censorship in America

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

The free service is provided by the Airport (be it government or
private, doesn't matter).  If you wish to use it, you abide by the
rules and restrictions that they put in place for [its] use.  In this
case, it's no porn.

Actually, no, it's "nothing our censorware considers dodgy", which is a
whole lot broader brush than "no porn" (poster child, boingboing).

I'm also a BIG fan of arresting anyone that is viewing porn in a
public area where anyone can walk by and see material that is
objectionable to them.

Whose idea of "objectionable" controls, though?  I certainly know there
are a whole lot of things _I_ find more objectionable than overt sex
(which is what most uses of "porn" really mean).  Start down the
"`protect' the public from `objectionable' material" road and you will
rapidly either take down the wifi entirely or wind up turning it into
"`protect' the public from anything our censor doesn't like".  (The
latter, of course, is exactly where we started, with a particular
automated value of "our censor".)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca