funsec mailing list archives

Re: Off Topic: When Did LinkedIn Start Sucking So Bad?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:37:40 -0400

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:08:25PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
i've rejected or ignored two dozen linkedin invitations.  i can't imagine
wanting to be easier to find, and i am stunned, just completely stunned,
at the number of experienced internet engineering and security people who
have bought into this latest privacy-giveaway fad.  (similarly w/ gmail.)

If I might piggyback on that: operations like linkedin, plaxo and spoke
are building databases that are absolute gold mines for phishers who are
targeting specific individuals, because they provide a handy list of
which addresses are likely to given special treatment by the target's
mail system/mail client.  Or by the target.  Oh, I'm sure they have privacy
policies, and I'm equally sure that those privacy policies are utterly,
completely worthless when confronted by any potential data buyer with
money-in-hand -- whether that encounter takes place in their corporate
offices or in the company parking lot with an exchange of USB memory sticks
and envelopes full of cash.

---Rsk