funsec mailing list archives

Re: Yet Another Emerging Web 2.0 Security Threat: Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR)

From: "Andre Ludwig" <andre.ludwig () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:41:09 -0500

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/RIA_Security_Smackdown

Andre

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com>
wrote:

I'm still confused here.  Given that AIR applications are downloaded and
executed on a desktop and not inside of browser, why do they present any
new
and different security risks compared to regular old .exe files?  (One
thing
I can think of is that Outlook and Outlook Express probably won't
automatically delete attached AIR files.  OTOH, Outlook and Outlook
Express
already fail to protect me from malicious Python and Perl script file
attachments.)

BTW, the AIR engine sounds just like Microsoft's 10-year "HTML Appliction"
(AKA .HTA) technology:

 Adobe melds desktop, Web apps with AIR
  http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/24/adobe-air_1.html

  "Applications using AIR can be written using the same technologies
 commonly used to build Web applications, including Adobe Flex and
 Flash, HTML, and JavaScript."

  Vs.

 Introduction to HTML Applications (HTAs)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536496(VS.85).aspx<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536496%28VS.85%29.aspx>

 With HTAs, Dynamic HTML (DHTML) with script can be added to that list.
 HTAs not only support everything a Web page does-namely HTML, Cascading
 Style Sheets (CSS), scripting languages, and behaviors-but also
HTA-specific
 functionality. This added functionality provides control over user
 interface design and access to the client system.

Richard