funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. Agents Seize Travelers' Devices

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:43:48 -0500

I saw this. Is it related to this, on the TSA's blog?

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/02/hooray-bloggers.html

A Win for the Blogesphere

Posters on this blog have had their first official impact on our
operations. That's right, less than one week since we began the blog and
already you're affecting security in a very positive way.

On Monday afternoon we began receiving questions about airports that
were requiring ALL electronics to be removed from carry-on bags
(everything, including blackberrys, iPods and even cords). This practice
was also mentioned on several other blogs and left us scratching our
heads.

So...we checked with our security operations team to figure out what was
going on. After some calls to our airports, we learned that this
exercise was set up by local TSA offices and was not part of any grand
plan across the country. These practices were stopped on Monday
afternoon and blackberrys, cords and iPods began to flow through
checkpoints like the booze was flowing on Bourbon Street Tuesday night.
(Fat Tuesday of course).

So thanks to everyone for asking about this and for giving us a chance
to make it right. Our hope is that examples like this validate our forum
and show the solid partnerships we can form with our customers - the
traveling public - in not only increasing security but in making all of
our lives just a little easier.

Thanks again and keep those comments and questions coming.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com