funsec mailing list archives

Re: Math not Ironport's top suite?

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 03:02:36 -0800 (PST)

--- David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com> wrote:
Oh dear, we're going to get serious. ;-)

Yeah, I'm just a hoot at parties... ;~)

I do think a leaning towards pedantry is often part of
the security geek mindset. Not only do we tend to have a
scientific background where a certain amount of
intellectual rigour is expected, if not always found, but
we also operate in an area where we're perpetually hampered
by myth and misinformation. I don't think pedantry is
necessarily counter-productive.

I'm not picking on anyone's value <'I love you guys!'
hiccup> - the same weakness I am (apparently) not so funny
about is, as you say, part of the mindset that makes us
technically effective at doing the work.  It's more that I
am pointing out what I see as one of the critical gaps that
impedes *applied* effectiveness.

As far as Ironport is concerned, I guess we -can- assume
that what they mean -is- all day, every day, all year
round, but the fact that they use a terminologically
incorrect expression (however commonly used) to convey that
message does tell you something not altogether comforting
about their operation.

I think the inverse argument could be made.  Since they
understand that the Great Unwashed they serve has evolved a
meme that conveys the concept, they use it.  Not that I
assume that they have given it that level of cognizant
introspection, but obviously they are working at that
level.

I rather like "all day, every day, all year round". It
may not be fine English, but it gets round -all- the
numeric objections.  :)

There is no difference whatsoever between engineering
technology and sociology.  One is just much simpler
 .d.
Speaking as someone with a background in social sciences
-and- computer science, I know where I feel most
comfortable. :-/

Exactly!  Computers are easy and comfortable, but keeping
people using computers safe requires engineering both sides
of the keyboard...

-pedantically yours,

-chris

PS English Majors:  Yes, I know I used "ironic"
incorrectly, so re-read this thread from the start for my
answer to your corrections... :~P