funsec mailing list archives

RE: Old News - Can you help?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:59:38 -0800

Date sent:              Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:14:29 +0000
From:                   David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com>

I was talking to another one of my friends and he recalls it as well.
He remembers it having to do with the cd's being found on a
tanker off the coast of the UK or Asia.

I don't remember this either. But if there's anyone who is likely to, it's
young Mr. Slade. :)

I've been thinking about it.  It certainly rings true (at least the virus on the CD
part, and, of course, at one time AOL was the most prolific manufacturer of
coasters and shiny disk curtain material).  Tankers I don't recall anything about.  I
do think there was one specific case where AOL sent out a load of infected CDs,
but I can't recall any details at all, so I hadn't posted anything.

Infected commercial software or disks aren't new.  Microsoft did a land-office
business in virus infected CDs at one time: for a period, every single marketing CD
they sent out seemed to have at least one infected Word doc on it.  The first was
the Macmag virus on Freehand demo disks.  During the runup to March of 1992 I
seem to recall at least 15 companies sending out disks infected with Michelangelo,
but that was before CDs were big.  Nowadays it isn't news at all, with infected disks,
CDs, and even products being so common ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Education has produced a vast population able to read but unable
to distinguish what is worth reading.               - G.M. Trevelyan
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm