funsec mailing list archives

wrong picture-police sorry!

From: "Randall Mueller" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:10:40 -0500

Associated Press
Police Sorry for Using Wrong Camera Pics
Associated Press 03.29.08, 10:59 AM ET

LA CROSSE, Wis. -

Police in La Crosse are a little red-faced right now.

They're apologizing after issuing an alert about a woman suspected of
using a stolen credit card at a convenience store. They also helpfully
issued surveillance video images of her.

Someone who works with the woman saw it and recognized her.

"The woman said her co-worker was kind of joking around and said, 'I
thought I saw you on Crime Stoppers,'" said Officer Drew Gavrilos.
"The woman hopped online and watched the video and found it was her."

But she hadn't done the crime.

Gavrilos said the mistake happened when police matched surveillance
video with cash register information, trying to identify whoever used
the stolen card.

They didn't realize there were two similar transactions about the same time.

"We had two very similar looking people come to the register about 10
to 20 seconds apart," each buying similar things, Gavrilos said. "It
was a one-in-a-million type of thing."

They picked the wrong one for the Crime Stoppers information, and the
public service announcement ran for three days before the mix up
caused it to be pulled.

"We feel horrible about the mistake and want to do all we can to
minimize any inconvenience or embarrassment this woman may have
experienced," Gavrilos said.

Police sent the woman a personal note of apology and produced a new
Crime Stoppers message with corrected information and a public
apology, he said.

Police did not release the name of the woman.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

--
RandallM

It's been a wild ride for sure