funsec mailing list archives

Re: Censorship in America, Part II

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:30:08 -0400

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 09:41:20AM -0500, John C. A. Bambenek, GCIH, CISSP wrote:
See, now this is actually censorship.

No, it's not.

It's odious, stupid, and pointless, but it's not censorship because
NetSol is a corporation, not a government.  Their customers have
freely chosen to enter into contracts stipulating whatever one-sided
terms-of-service NetSol has this week and to thereby subject themselves
to the inconsistent, bungled enforcement of same.  (I'm sure NetSol's
landsharks have already made certain that this action is consistent with
those contractual provisions.  IANAL, but the excerpts I've seen boil
down to "we can do whatever we want whenever we want and no, we don't
have to inform you or explain it to you or give you your money back.")

Astute followup traffic on IP suggests that NetSol has more of a problem
with websites about movies than with websites that actually advocate
killing people.  I'll suggest that anyone using NetSol for domain
registration, DNS, or hosting is clueless.

---Rsk