funsec mailing list archives

RE: More info on malware-scan.com ads on newspaper Web sites

From: rms () computerbytesman com
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 09:33:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi Larry,

I packet sniffed the loading of the Boston Herald article and found that
the following Internet advertising/marketing companies are involved
somehow in showing banner ads at the Herald Web site:

    mediaplex.com
    247realmedia.com
    advertising.com
    zwire.com
    google.com

Ad networks have complicated relationships.  I don't know where the bad
guys were able to place their ad originally and how the ad has been traded
around among the various companies listed above.

The bad guys appear to be bouncing around also between some of their own
servers at these domains:

    mysurvey4u.com
    blessedads.com
    prevedmarketing.com
    malware-scan.com

I'm pretty sure that this situation is different than other cases where
the bad guys have added malicious code to the back-end content database of
a Web site.  The Bank of India break-in was a recent example of this other
kind of attack:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136666-page,1/article.html

Richard

Let me be more general here. I'm writing on this again and if you can give
me references to other examples I'd appreciate it

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com