funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:11:28 -0500

On 11/5/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 11/3/07, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Larry Seltzer wrote:
Well, we'd make all Mac users -- who historically have thought they
did not need to -- install some reliable and up-to-date form of malware
detecting software, and have that software reliably and uniquely report
their infected-/affected-ness to a central repository.

Hmmm... What I thought.

Even if it's very successful the numbers will probably be small enough
that the folks who monitor botnets won't be able to notice them. In the
Windows world the MSRT and AV companies can give us some sense of
specific infection rates.

Not so. We can also count Linux infections and Windows is still larger in
quantity.

Do you have the ability to generate % of machines infected per OS?
like 20% of windows machines are infected vs only 1% of linux boxen?

Such statistics are never absolute. I can point out trends.

And remember, 47.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;-)

Seriously, it would be nice to see % of bots per OS vs % of market
share. I would be glad to crunch teh data if you can supply the
numbers.