funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] NSA may be Reading Windows Software in your Computer?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:24:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 h.gold () mal-aware org wrote:
On 17 Oct 2007 at 15:04, Gadi Evron wrote:

Hmm, not to say they should or you should like it..

But..

Would you care if the NSA read your email?

Yes, absolutely.

I don't have anything to hide .. I just value my privacy and my
Constitutionally granted rights to protection from unspecified,
undocumented, illegal search and seizure.

I agree! My privacy is important to me as well. That said, I am quite
willing to give them my PGP key so they concentrate on terrorists.
I no longer use PGP or any other sort of encryption, though.

You also need to understand the NSA and every other such organization is
legally allowed and bound to spy on everyone BUT [western countries] their
citizens.

And when you look at the overall issue of a government that is
operating without accountability, disclosure, and in near-total secrecy ..
and is pushing for laws that *retroactively* protect corporations that
have already illegally given up client data .. yes, there is valid cause for
concern.

Not a political issues, a philosophical question.

And if you feel the NSA so much, why wouldn't you take precautions to
stop even kiddies?

If you're referring to the script/hacker kiddies, there is a world of
difference.  Not even a glimmer of comparison.

How is it not? Does it matter to you if a kid steals your identity or if
some file somewhere have some information?

Ideologically, the NSA spying would bother you more. Practically, many
ignore all the rest more real threats.