funsec mailing list archives

Re: Kaspersky strikes again

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:44:45 -0500

On Dec 23, 2007 3:46 PM, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:
Virtual PCs are not necessarily all that useful for testing malware.

I know, some companies even have setups that are made out of 2x4
cutouts with system boards and nic's in them for their testing
environment..

Crazy I know, but hey, it makes sense to me...

And one of your bigger challenges is in creating an adequate whitelist
to test against FPs.  You're talking at least 20 terrabytes of whitelist
data -- think of all the different versions of Office, all the drivers,
etc.  It's not a small undertaking.

No, but a company with millions to spend on research should be able to
manage. Shit, even if you can't afford it AV companies could team up
for a killer test bed of troublesome app and OS's their combined 80yrs
experience has dealt with..

Just an idea

-JP