funsec mailing list archives

RE: Kaspersky strikes again

From: "Young, Keith" <Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:39:14 -0500

A faulty signature update from Kaspersky Lab on Wednesday

flagged up Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) as infected with a

low-risk virus, Huhk-C. As a result the core Windows component was
quarantined or worse.

I was visited by a Kaspersky representative a while ago. The person
mentioned that they "detect new viruses every couple of minutes and
release signature updates almost immediately". I was then shown their
real-time detection web site <http://www.kaspersky.com/viruswatch3>.

I was then reminded of Dr. Solly's comment about needing 30 days of QA
testing (10+ years ago) for every signature database release, I thought
about how IT infrastructure has become even more complex since then, and
started an internal pool of when issues like this news story would be
common.

On a related note:

"We have been working with a small number of customers that reported
issues related to the installation of MS07-069. Specifically, on a
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Internet Explorer 6 may
stop responding when you try to a visit a web site."

<http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2007/12/18/ms07-069-cumulative-se
curity-update-for-internet-explorer-post-install-issue.aspx>

--Keith

Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland