funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops

From: "Daniel H. Renner" <dan () losangelescomputerhelp com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:57:35 -0800

funsec-request () linuxbox org wrote:
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:04:50 -0000
From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Subject: RE: [funsec] Oops
To: <david.a.harley () gmail com>, <funsec () linuxbox org>

I hazarded a guess in November re the HMRC snafu that:

I'd guess that the "public face of government" doesn't know about the quality of the encryption. There are applicable guidelines and standards prescribed by central government, but they won't necessarily even be accessible at junior (or even senior) level in a specific department. The UK government (in the sense of the permanent establishment rather than the prevailing party-in-power) has an entrenched culture of secrecy which often works against it.

Today, I read in the Register that:

"HMRC restricted details of its security procedures to senior officials, it
has emerged, just weeks after the department pilloried a junior official for

The department had a detailed manual covering procedures for handling the
benefits database and other sensitive information. However, the manual
itself was considered too sensitive to be widely distributed, so it was
restricted to civil servants only, The Guardian reports."

Sigh...

More at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/17/hmrc_manual/.

--
David Harley