funsec mailing list archives

Re: SourceFire buys ClamAV

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:54:13 -0400

On 8/17/07, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
C Q wrote:
Nmap's license is horrible... Even using nmap output
implies a derived work (I might be thinking of something
else, so please correct me if I'm mistaken)... But because
Fyodor is not trying to commercially benefit from it there
isn't as much fuss about it where in case of Nessus,
Snort, and MySQL it looks bad.

Fyodor sells commercial licenses. It's a very similar arrangement to the
others you mention.

JIC you fergot, having a good app you lease to commercial interests is the goal

nothing wrong with that, its when you invent a network protocol with
errors, push it out to the world, then patent the fix for 20 yrs that
you become a hindrance

-JP<who tried to patent flushing yer turd, unsuccessfully>