funsec mailing list archives

Re: Dr. Neal: Researcher's Analysis of al Qaeda

From: "Dr. Neal Krawetz" <hf () hackerfactor com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:06:26 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu Aug  2 10:57:51 2007, Gary Warner wrote:

Paul,

Thanks for the link!

Neal,

GREAT WORK!

Is the tool easily deployable?  Is this something I can load on a PC and
look at a boxload of images? or is this a major number crunching event?

I've shown some of these AQ videos in InfraGard meetings where we talked
about how they are shared and distributed, but I never imagined that
there would be this level of manipulation in them!

_-_
gar

Hi Gar,

Thanks for the compliment.
I just got back in town.  (I don't trust Defcon networks, so I went without
Internet for a week.  And SSH over TOR is like a 300 baud modem.)

I intentionally design all of my tools for command-line and scripting.
Most of the analysis methods take longer to load/save the image than to
actually do the computation.  However, wavelets (covered in my talk) and
color density (not covered) are VERY slow.  (An 800x600 image might take a
minute for wavelets and up to 10 minutes for density; fortunately, these
are not the main algorithms that I use.)

I am currently talking to a company about possibly productizing the code.
(Right now, it is a very ugly command-line program that does all of the
analysis.  It is good for me, not good for other people.  Version 2 should
be much more usable.)

Finally, the analysis programs (jpegana and imgana) do not draw any
conclusions.  They just generate pictures.  A human still needs to look
at the pictures.  This came from a law enforcement requirement: an expert
needs to explain the "how".  The image analysis algorithms just make it
really easy for a human.  (However, I do want to build a simple summary
system that may not be accurate but will allow the quick "bucketing" of
images.)

Gar: if you have other questions, send me an email off-list.

                                        -Neal
--
Neal Krawetz, Ph.D.
Hacker Factor Solutions