funsec mailing list archives

Re: A Call for Internet War Against Islamic Terrorism

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:46:17 -0500

On 7/23/07, Technocrat <dj.technocrat.listmail () gmail com> wrote:

On 7/21/07, Richard M. Smith <rms () computerbytesman com> wrote:

>  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1868512/posts
>
> *A Call for Internet War Against Islamic Terrorism*<http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1868512/posts>
> July 19 2007 | jveritas
>
> Posted on *07/19/2007 11:51:49 AM PDT* by *jveritas*<http://www.freerepublic.com/~jveritas/>
>
> Dear Patriots
>
> Many of us are not fighting the islamic terrorists on the battlefields
> of Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere but for sure we can fight them on the
> internet. We should seek the shut down of any known terrorist website and
> forum to deliver a shocking and devastating psychological blow to the
> islamic terrorists and more importantly to destroy a major tool if not the
> major tool of their communications. As regular folks we have less legal
> challenges facing us to force a terrorist website shut down than if a
> government law enforcement agency tries to do it, so this is the least we
> can do to serve America in this time of war.

In some cases, it could harm ongoing investigations to shut down known
terrorist sites that could be used as open source intel sources & tracking
resources.

Agreed to this point.

Very few people (that aren't interested) look at that stuff online....most
normal people are shown this stuff via normal media outlets. Then you run
into the idea of reducing psychological warfare vs. the freedom of press.
Just something to think about....

I think you're losing your point here from the one prior. Arent the people
who should not look at this stuff, the very people that would be the
potential perpetrators or supporters of islamic jihad?

So its a double edged sword. Not sure freedom of the press applies to
content that advocates criminal and/or terrorist behavior.

And now for the resulting barrage of "what about the domestic militia
crap".....  yeah yeah yeah....