funsec mailing list archives

The Hunt for YoGangsta50

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:37:00 -0700

http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2007/07/hunt-for-yogangsta50.html

Monday, July 09, 2007

The Hunt for YoGangsta50

"You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge" - Dr Dre

This post represents the culmination of an investigation into the GTA:
<http://blog.spywareguide.com/2007/07/gta_hoodlife_virus_attack_is_a.html>
Hoodlife Virus. After dismantling
<http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2007/07/when-words-speak-louder-than-images.ht
ml>  the distribution chains for the videos being hawked around social
networking sites, getting user accounts cancelled
<http://www.vitalsecurity.org/uploaded_images/gangstacancelled-778151.jpg>
left, right and centre and warning
<http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2007/07/superman-is-back-in-building-while.htm
l>  the Myspace hordes about Myspace Protect, I did wonder what else was
left to do with the steaming pile of wreckage before me.

Random question time. What do you see when you look at the below?

 <http://www.vitalsecurity.org/uploaded_images/yogprofile-714541.jpg>
http://www.vitalsecurity.org/uploaded_images/yogprofile-714538.jpgA YouTube
page? Some funky colours? A Myspace Protect video? The site that some virus
dude was doing some stuff on?

Or do you see a virus spreading fool exposing his entire online existence to
anyone who is bothered enough to care, and practically begging to be caught?
See, my entire line of research is based on the notion that these people
creating these things don't just fall out of the sky out of nowhere to start
some shit on the Internet. Pretty much everyone out there has some sort of
pre-bad guy history, especially if they were gimping around on social
networking sites and the like before they took that bash on the head and
woke up as Dr Doom. It worked when looking at hackers in the Middle East
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1888714,00.asp> ; it worked for a
Carding <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2092435,00.asp>  scam. So I
figured, what the Hell - let's see what happens with the creator of a
super-lame batch file that completely cripples an average users PC. What
sparked this desire to have one final crack at this was an Email I received
from someone who thought they'd lost all sorts of pictures they'd scanned
into their computer as a result of this thing - probably nothing to anyone
else, but hey, all this stuff routinely hosed by idiots and their fun little
programs has some worth to us. It has some importance that goes beyond a
simple reformat and backup and - oh Hell, you didn't ever get round to
backing everything up? Too bad, wave goodbye to your pictures, or music, or
whatever else is on there.

Well, sorry, but no. Your right to cause some shit on the Internet ends at
exactly the point where my right to cause you some shit begins. With that in
mind, I'd considered playing a game of "chase the bad guy", and seeing
exactly what information would turn up if I took things to an extreme of
needle in a haystack action. So far, all I really knew about this guy was
that he called himself YoGangsta50 and he liked YouTube.

.