funsec mailing list archives

Re: Shocker: DKIM antispam standard can't stop spam

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:46:42 -0400

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:37:02 EDT, Dude VanWinkle said:
So if you have 1,000,000 spam a day at 50KB  per spam and you have to
pay for the bandwidth, backing them up to tape and disk, added to the
expansion of email storage (one of the most expensive types IMO) It
still isnt worth it to list every server who can send out mail from
your domain? Maybe the returns dont match the investment, I dont have
the numbers to run the math..

It *would* be, if a fraction of the spam we got had vt.edu source addresses.
But *we* don't filter out very much spam by listing what places can send with
vt.edu addresses.  *OTHER* places can filter any spam that shows up with
a 'From: vt.edu' on it.  But publishing vt.edu doesn't do *squat* for our
filtering spam that has some *OTHER* domain in the From: - we only get *that*
benefit if the purported source domain publishes *their* info.

To run it by once more - we publish, gmail gets the benefit. Gmail publishes,
*we* get the benefit. Nobody gets the benefit *themselves* by publishing.