funsec mailing list archives

Whitelist security

From: "RMueller" <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:33:44 -0500

Internet security moving towards "whitelist" methods:

"A "white list" would instead compile every known legitimate software
program, including applications such as Microsoft Word and Adobe Acrobat, and
add new ones as they are developed. Every program not on the list would
simply not be allowed to be function on a computer."

Now, my juniper firewall works this way and it works nicely. I allow out what
I want. I am not so sure on the workstation side of things that will work as
smooth. A lot of variations are involved here. It states "function". If it
was just "calling home" then that is different. That too can be a problem but
not as much as "function"!

thanks
Randall