funsec mailing list archives

Re: Estonia Urges Firm EU, NATO Response to Cyber Attacks

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 10:02:17 -0400

On Wed, 16 May 2007 09:36:33 EDT, der Mouse said:
As more and more governmental operations go online, and as electronic
commerce is targeted, this crosses traditional boundaries with
regards to how one defines terrorism.

I disagree.  Guerilla warfare, perhaps, but terrorism?  I don't see
anything here that induces public terror, or even fear.  Identity theft
is a pain, but as far as I've been able to tell it's not the sort of
thing that provokes the kind of terror that makes "terrorism" an
appropriate label.

It would seem to be more appropriate for Interpol to act as a clearinghouse or
enabler for national LEOs to track down the miscreants.  I admit not knowing if
Interpol has the appropriate agreements in place with either/both Estonia and
the source(s) of the attacks.

For that matter, does Interpol have the internal infrastructure/clue to deal
with international cybercrime?  Or are they where the US FBI was a decade ago?