funsec mailing list archives

Re: UK: Drivers may be banned from smoking at the wheel

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:28:17 -0500

On 5/14/07, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

> You don't understand "rights" - or where they come from. If you did,
> you'd answer your own silly question.

Please enlighten us as to where they come from, paying particular attention
to the fact that "rights" only make sense when embedded in a society, and
that (a) sometimes several rights, if totally unlimited, result in a non-stable
society (as a straw man, consider the right to shoot anybody who offends you),
and (b) for a society to last long enough to be even historically interesting,
it needs to be self-interoperating.  Bonus points for (c) not devolving into
the Monty Python routine in Life of Brian, re: "the right to have babies"
(actually more difficult than it sounds, as it's the logical outcome of "I have
the *right* to do so, but don't choose to exercise it".  A "right" has to be
workable even when everybody actually chooses to use it).  Extra bonus
points for (d) discussing one entity's right to take an action which infringes
on somebody else's right (for instance, my right to discriminate based on
some factor, versus the right of a person in that group to go without being
discriminated against), and (e) without resorting to deus ex machina.

I guess I can feel free to respond since you are - and still avoid our
moderator's rath?

The basic principle of any and all rights is: Your rights end at the
tip of my nose. Now, given that knowledge, I'm hopeful that you can
answer your own questions and avoid our moderators rath yourslef.