funsec mailing list archives

Re: I think that more of my state tax dollars need to go to security

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:23:00 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:56:52 BST, Drsolly said:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

A) Name a state agency or service who's budget you will cut, and be prepared to
live without that service at current levels.  You take it from higher ed, you
have to accept the tuition hike that will follow.  You take it from transportation,
you have to live with more potholes and dangerously degraded bridges.

C) Reduce the politicians salaries.

That's merely a special case of A. :)

And cutting salaries is problematic too - at least in Virginia, there aren't
enough legislators that even reducing their salary to *zero* would net enough
funds to make a dent in the cost of any statewide initiative.

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/legismgt/about/05salary.htm

For 2005, they got paid $18,000/year Senate, $17,640/year House for a part time
job that's horrendously scheduled - you have to be semi-retired or otherwise
have the means to live on $18K/year, and/or take 4 months of vacation a year.

Phrased differently, we could fire the entire Commonwealth legislature,
and the resulting savings would add maybe 50 competent sysadmins to the
entire state government.  Big dent *that* would be.

What if we retrained the politicians to be sysadmins?