funsec mailing list archives

Re: no more Stargate SG-1?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:51:20 -0500 (CDT)

PS: What Atlantis?

Stargate Atlantis is a spin-off from Stargate SG-1. It takes place in
another galaxy where a new TERRIBLE FOE has been discovered. It starts
with an International team that gates to that galaxy to seek Atlantis "The
City of the Ancients".

It is boring and lame. To be specific:
I am not saying that action is what brings me to the show, it does
not. The less action that there was in SG-1 the happier I was. We would
learn of the characters, morality, science, philosophy, etc.

Atlantis has 2 minutes of action at best (and most of that is no real
action) with most of the episode beind about "let's talk about it" and
then "let's talk about it some more". This action is all you have to hope
for while watching it.

After the few seconds of action (by action again, I mean doing something,
not actually "beating the **** out of anybody") they will then begin with
annoying extra minutes filled with:
1. Self doubt.
2. Let's talk about it some more.
3. "It's okay to be scared" (Space Above and Beyond reference, anybody
   caught it?)
4. How do you FEEL about it?
5. Are you sure you are okay?

With a weird semi-drama semi-horror feel to some scenes.

In other words, it is a show built mainly for the females among us with a
very high concentration of talking and feelings, with little to no
progress in the main plot nor interest in the episodes if they were
standing on themselves (think the Babylon 5 model and the Star Trek: TNG
model).

To be clear, I get along fine with the new(er) type of fantasy books that
became X4 times bigger (at best) due to the majority of readers becoming
women in their 30s. There is much more where the plot is concerned on
descriptions and on feelings. I like big books and I like this trend even
if I am a guy.

I don't get along with Stargate Atlantis and to be honest, I am starting
to hate the damn thing. Silly thing is, I will probably watch it for 5
more seasons (as unfortunately it won't get cancelled and I am stuck on
it).

        Gadi.