funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] 'The Architecture' Reaches Out To Arrest Activist

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 01:24:11 -0500

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:33:02 CST, Brian Loe said:

It doesn't have to be real-time when you're talking about an activity that
has been going on for the vast majority of this *century*.

I don't know where you're getting your information...I can't think of
a single story about the FBI following terrorist cells in the early
1900s, or at any time before the first WTC attack. For that matter,
they didn't do too much even after that attack - not enough,
obviously.

I might point out that the first WTC attack was *last* century... :)

I'll give them a free ride for the first 9 months of *this* century, but
if they haven't been following terrorist cells for the *other* 63 months
so far they're derelicting their duty.  So for some 92% of this
century, they have been presumably doing something.

And given the glacial rate of progress we're seeing at rounding all the
terrorists up, when we've been at it for 90% of the century so far, it's
unclear that realtime reports *matter*.  You don't need realtime reports to
notice that nothing earth-shattering has happened in the past year.

Now returning to Fergie's point - they've had over 5 *years* to hunt down
all the terrorists, and have come up (mostly) empty-handed.  This pretty
much implies that there *will* be mission creep, slowly redefining other
things as "terrorist" to make them in scope, so that they can catch *somebody*
and justify their continued existence.

The alternative (they decide there's so few terrorists out there that they
can declare victory, pack up, go home, and retire) doesn't pass the laugh test.