funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hackers Post On DuPage County Election Website

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:04:35 -0500

I understand that finding the most applicable law may be an ordeal
from the computer intrusion perspective. I was thinking more along the
lines of defrauding the voters-type legislation.

Still, I wish they had said "Officials are trying to figure out WHICH
laws have been broken", because not only was one law obviously broken,
but multiple laws have obviously been broken.

Unless you think that these pentesters got a get out of jail free card ;-)

-JP<who guesses he is a nitpicker>

On 10/29/06, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:42:19 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

> Those arent the smartest offiocials I have heard of.
>
> Gee, is hacking into government website amd defacing it breaking any laws?

Not knowing the entire details (like the exact jurisdiction, etc), I'll
point out that it's *not* that obvious sometimes.  For starters, the first
statute that comes to mind is the federal 18 USC 1030 (a.k.a. the Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986):

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001030----000-.html

Now go and read 18 USC 1030(a) and tell me which one was violated (hint -
it wasn't a federal computer, so some sections don't apply.  If the damages
were under $5,000, others don't apply.  And if it isn't used in interstate
commerce, other sections don't matter.  Are any left?)

It's quite likely that any state ordinances have similar issues, making
it *not* a slam dunk.