funsec mailing list archives

RE: Compromised PC Leads To Big Fraud Losses For E*Trade

From: "D'Aloisio, Marc" <Marc.DAloisio () ct gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:03:51 -0400

I used to have the same view.  People need to be good at what they do -
salespeople sell, managers lead people, IT folks deal with computers.  I
felt computer technical 'stuff', like security, should be transparent to
the end user to allow them to use the tool to excel in their profession,
not worry about the tool.  I, too, have changed my view.  I take example
from the automobile - all the above use automobiles as a tool of their
profession, if only to get to work in the morning; but, there is some
responsibility to using the tool - at least the ability to recognize the
need to service the tool (in the case of the automobile,  replace worn
tires, have the brakes serviced, etc.).  In many cases this is directly
related to safety.  I feel the same thing applies to computers.  The
user should have a basic understanding of the care and maintenance of
the tool in order to maintain the safety of the data and the data of
other computers.  And there's the obvous need to know how to safely
operate and use the tool, whether it be an automobile or a computer.
Hmmm...a computer operator license...no, let's not go there....

Preemption:  If you feel compelled to reply "but you can kill people
with cars, computers are different", talk to the folks that manage
hospital or SCADA systems first.

Marc D'Aloisio, CISSP
Security Analyst; Security Incident Response and Investigation
State of Connecticut - Department of Information Technology