funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bizarre Story of the Day: 'Wrong IP Address' Leads to Sha q Attack on I nnocent Family

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:16:45 -0500

On 10/25/06, Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com> wrote:
Huh?

The story that I read, says that it was a mistake. The police had an IP
address, but that doesn't give them a physical address. So they contacted
the ISP, who looked it up, and gave them the *wrong* physical address, and
the police did the raid based on that.

An unfortunate mistake (on the part of the ISP), but not something that is
the fault of the police.

20 years ago the police would have conducted an investigation prior to
requesting a warrant (warrants typically require some kind of cause -
but the level of cause has been lightened enough to make the process
merely an inconvenience for law enforcement) and then gone in to
gather more evidence.

Because of over legislating the war on drugs and MADD and all that,
these gatekeeper processes hardly keep the animal that is government
caged.

So then they got the right address from the ISP, did the raid to the right
place, and caught a child pornogrphy distributor.

So your wish that this type of person should be hunted down and shot, came
true, except that they haven't been shot, because they're entitled to a
fair trial first (and that's the protection of the individual rights).

What about the innocent family's rights? That's what I was addressing anyway...