funsec mailing list archives

VideoDownloader?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:20:50 -0800

OK, since I got the suggestion here ...

I got, and installed, VideoDownloader (http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php).
 (I've got the little icon on the bottom of my Firefox windows now.)

I'm not much into watching or downloading videos, and I'm not sure how the thing
works.  (I've finally figured out how to make it work.)  However, today I noticed
something strange.  I was trying to watch a YouTube offering
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nURXXThUAhY, if it matters), and the thing
was pig slow.  It's only a six minute vid, but it was coming through in really small
chunks, while my stream from the Internet seemed to be fairly constantly going.
(Didn't seem to be affecting other activities much, except for a high CPU
utilization, so I don't think it was maxing out my connection.)  It took about two
hours to download the whole thing.

Any chance the add-in is doing a lot of work while I'm trying to watch video stuff?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Congress ... shall make no law abridging the freedom of sXXXch,
the right of the people peaceably to XXXemble, and to peXXXion
the government for a redress of grievances.
                   - from the First Amendment to the US ConsXXXution
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm