funsec mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities in First-Generation RFID-Enabled Credit Cards

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:28:43 -0400

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:29:45 EDT, rms () bsf-llc com said:

Here are all of the technical details.  I'm still scratching my head why a
RFID credit card doesn't have a little momentary contact switch which must
be pushed in order to activate the RFID chip.  With this simple addition,
cards can't be read on the sly.

At that point, do something sensible like use the already existing smart-card
technology that requires physical contact - at that point, the reader can power
the chipset so you can have a lot more on-board storage and computation.

Kinda like some credit card vendors have done for *years*. ;)