funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Want a beer at the pub? Have your prints taken

From: "Dmitry Chan" <dmitry.chan () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:46:53 -0500

On 10/22/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Gordon Darling wrote:
> I'm afraid not, Gadi. The custom of "happy hour(s)" is now frowned on in
> the U.K. as it leads to "anti social drinking" according to our Lords
> and Masters at Westminster. Of course the politicians are OK, the House
> of Commons is exempt from licensing laws (as the Palace of Westminster
> is classified as a Royal Palace) and they can get pissed out of their
> heads 24/7/365 in around a dozen different bars!
>
> What with banning smoking in pubs being introduced shortly if they try
> fingerprinting as well I can see a lot of "shebeens" (called "private
> members clubs" in polite circles) springing up in my corner of rural
> South East England!

I can *understand* the anti-smoking law. That's about it. In Israel they
now look to follow UK and SE examples (what examples?!?!) to ban pubs
after 2 AM, to prevent drunk driving.

I can understand the anti-smoking law *within* the pub.  I don't understand
a law which prohibits smoking within 25 feet of *any* building (including
pubs).  For those smokers who were in Seattle for the recent OWASP event,
you know what I'm talking about.

--
!Dmitry
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/dmitryc/