funsec mailing list archives

RE: bankone/chase non-scam

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:02:15 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Larry Seltzer wrote:
I don't see any headers on these e-mails so I can't judge them. I don't
see enough proof that these messages are legit, but I see no reason to
believe they are illegit. How could they possibly be used in a scam?

I spoke of a bank of america email sent the other day to someone we both
know.

The email was legit, yet:
1. The server did not sit in the same hosting location as
www.bankofamerica.com.
2. It was a different domain.
3. It was a different certificate.
4. etc.

I did not believe this was a legitimate email, I was sure it was spam
phishing.

I was wrong. It was a legitimate email from the bank of america.

What is that all about?

        Gadi.