funsec mailing list archives

Re: Kaspersky: Is the Hacking Community Running Out ofFreshI deas?

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 04:15:10 -0800

On 11/21/06, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Krpata, Tyler wrote:
> How many?

Discussed with me alone over the past few months? More than dozens.

only a few dozen?  clearly you need to be drinking more cough syrup! [0]

---

really though, the premise of this report is entirely focused on the
wrong aspect of cracking(hacking) trends:

"""... we are not seeing threats that would be able
to cause millions and millions of pounds of damage, as Klez, Mydoom,
Lovesan and Sasser did in the past.
"""

the focus is now keeping the target oblivious to subversion and
leveraging a compromised endpoint for bandwidth (spam) or information
(identity theft/fraud). and in this respect, there has been a
significant amount of innovative effort.

0. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quest_for_Ratings