funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image spam hits a new level...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:47:45 +1300

Gadi Evron to me:

Anti-OCR is only (??) incidental to it's main (??) purpose.

Most anti-spam efforts do not (and will not anytime soon or ever) have
OCR-like technologies, so the bad-guys have other phish to phry here.

It's a reverse captcha, folks (and I don't mean things only computers
(!humans) can understand.

It's that _AS WELL_, but that is _generally true_ of image(-only)
pump'n'dump stock _and_ some other (some of "cheap drugs") spam, and
these have been around for a long time _without_ the weirdly 60-ish
multi-coloured backgrounds...

They use our own technology against us, only not against bots, against
anti spam filters.

Of course -- well, at least if there's a pay-off for them...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald