funsec mailing list archives

Political Website Hacked to Run Spam Script

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:16:05 GMT

Details seem kind of sketchy, but...

Via Free Market News Network.

[snip]

On Sunday, a human being registered to use our website
[www.DownsizeDC.org], sent a message to Congress, and then "ran a
script" on our system to generate nearly 50,000 pieces of spam through
our server.

As a result, America Online has temporarily blacklisted us. AOL users
probably won't get this message.

We discovered the problem this morning. The offending registration has
been deleted and the problem has been patched so the script will not
work again. Our database was never compromised or at risk of being
compromised.

[snip]

More:
http://www.freemarketnews.com/Analysis/64/6388/jim.asp?wid=64&nid=6388