funsec mailing list archives

Re: "US-CERT: Turn Off ActiveX for Security"

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:04:13 +1300

Paul Vixie wrote:

http://www.betanews.com/article/USCERT_Turn_Off_ActiveX_for_Security/1162483029

No news here -- as CERT says in the article, they have strongly
suggested disabling ActiveX before.

They've also -- about two years back IIRC -- suggested that IE is such
a pile of steaming poo (OK -- that's my phrasing, not CERT's) that
you'd be mad to allow it to be used for browsing on the Internet, and I
don't recall them ever countermanding that suggestion.

Until MS admits that the "restricted sites" zone is where "the internet
as a whole" should be, by deafult, _AND_ makes it damn near impossible
for idiots -- sorry, "unmanaged users" -- to alter those settings, it
and its users necessarily face the other consequences of the extremely
stupid "security design" of this browser and its almost "exploit at
will" -- sorry, "ActiveX" -- technology.

Of course, now that MS is also in the business of selling "additional"
protective technologies do we think it is at all likely that MS will be
much inclined to improve meatters in this regard?

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald