funsec mailing list archives

RE: Did the South Portland Maine police overreact or not?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:59:18 -0500

 agreed it's weird, and the law varies from state to state.  Some states have an open carry law with or without permit,
some states have a concealed carry law with or without permit.

 Here in Mass, I am licensed for concealed carry, that is the only way I'm able to carry a pistol, it cannot be in
plain view.  Kentucky you are allowed to openly carry but not concealed (if memory serves correctly).

 To me, what would disturb the average person more.  Someone that is licensed to carry and has a pistol under his
jacket in the local mall.  OR  someone that is licensed and has a pistol in a "cowboy style" holster in the local mall?

  Yes, brandishing is along the lines of "showing in a threateningly manor".  Leaves an awful lot to interpretation....

  Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580