funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] U.S. DoJ: Reporters May be Prosecuted for Leaks

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:04:38 -0500

On 6/10/06, Thomas C. Greene <dcvulture () comcast net> wrote:

So yes, the press does have rights and liberties that the general public don't
enjoy.  You may find it personally galling that we've been granted these
rights, but that's the law.  Laws that restrict press rights exist,
certainly, but they are invalid because the Constitution trumps them.

Who says who the "press" is? The freedom of the press is not a right
granted to some establishment - as with all rights it belongs to the
People. I can start a press tomorrow, with my bubblejet printer, and
enjoy the same rights as the Kansas City Red Star.