funsec mailing list archives

RE: "michael chertoff reassured people things would only go so far"

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:00:50 +0100 (BST)

 Last week CNN reported "kids" yes under the age of 13 I believe the
three were, creating "peroxide bombs" and setting them off in their
driveway.  CNN even went so far as to state the three items the kids
were mixing together in a plastic soda pop bottle and letting explode in
their driveway.

Was it by any chance, hydrogen peroxide and potassium permanganate?

  They were arrested and sent to juvenile hall awaiting trial for a
Felony Juvenile offense.

  NOW...

  We have 21 people arrested for doing the same thing and wanting to
blow up planes with the same bombs....

  Was this terror act really being planned for years?  Or was it being
planned for a week after they saw it on CNN and decided that it would be
a good thing to try out to kill a bunch of people?

  The media certainly takes things too damned far if you ask me.  They
certainly didn't have to mention EXACTLY what those kids were mixing and
EXACTLY (almost) where to find the instructions to do the same thing....

  <off soapbox>

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580