funsec mailing list archives

Interpol mirror

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 16:13:25 -0800

July 31, Register (UK) — 419ers debut Interpol mirror site. 419 advanced fee
scammers have created an exact copy of the Interpol Website, which is expected
to be used to dupe victims into believing they are dealing with the real
International Criminal Police Organization. A spokesperson for Ultrascan
Advanced Global Investigations, a firm which has been studying 419 matters since
the mid 90s, says Interpolglobal is "the best scam site we've seen so far." In
dealings with potential victims, scammers can now refer to "Interpol" to create an
aura of "trust", Ultrascan says, in particular when large sums of money need to be
transferred. Although the Interpolglobal site cites the correct address for Interpol
in Paris, it lists a different e-mail address. The Website -- registered last December
by "Interpol" based in "London, Beijing, GB" -- went up last week, but removing it
won't be easy as it is running from a server in China. "419 scammers now include
people with PhDs, well capable of creating good looking websites and running
them from bullet proof servers," says Frank Engelsman of Ultrascan. The real
Interpol has already responded to the new site.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/07/31/scammers_create_ interpol_mirror/

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
            We have to believe in free will.  We have no choice.
Dictionary of Information Security  www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm