funsec mailing list archives

Re: Will Amnesty International be taking up the case of DavidCarruthers of BetOnSports?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:41:40 -0500

On 7/20/06, der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca> wrote:
Actually, I don't think that follows.  I suspect the public at large
doesn't care about whether it's legal; they just want to be allowed to
continue doing it (ie, lack of enforcement would be just as good).

The way our laws are SUPPOSED to work is that if its not explicitly
denied then its allowed. If there's not a law against it, its not a
crime. I don't know too many people interested in doing something
publicly that is against the law but isn't enforced but could be
enforced at any given time in the near or far future.

I'd say most people that use this service either know its illegal and
don't mind breaking that law (Jefferson said that if its an
unconstitutional law, its not a law) or they simply figure it must be
legal because they can do it and/or because its off-shore, etc..