funsec mailing list archives

Quote of the Day: '...until there's a 'digital Enron'...'

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:25:00 GMT

Joe, over on techdirt.com:

[snip]

"When discussing security, people tend to focus on big events, like
viruses that cause havoc very quickly, or the laptop thefts at the VA.
But as we mentioned recently, the real danger is in quiet, slow-moving
attacks that can go undetected for a long period of time.

"It's for this reason that hackers who are in it for money are putting
their effort into malware of this variety. And it's also the reason
that an increasing number of attackers are quietly attacking small
businesses, with a fewer number of potential victims. Swiping mountains
of data from a major corporation is likely to raise alarms bells much
quicker. Furthermore, small businesses are less likely to have advanced
security in place.

"Some have said that nothing will happen to really fight identity theft
until there's a "digital Enron", an event so calamitous that the
government and corporations are moved to act.

"But the reality is just the opposite; there are more and more
mini-disasters, and fewer of the type of attacks that might be compared
to Enron."

[snip]

Link:
http://techdirt.com/articles/20060928/125955.shtml

..and I agree. The good cyber croiminals aren't stoopid.

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net