funsec mailing list archives

Scamming the phishers?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:15:54 -0400

Hi,

Is anyone aware of any banks which are creating fake online bank accounts
that appear to be valid accounts but with no real money in them?  The idea
then is to feed valid login information to the fake accounts to phishers.
These accounts can then be used by investigators to gather intelligence
about how phishers operate.  The fake account can also be used to make phish
less attractive by wasting phisher's time on financial transactions that
never get completed.  Things may also get really interesting if the false
account information is sold to another party for them to steal money.

As an aside, I just got a phishing email targeting my bank.  It arrive 2
mints after I was using my online bank account for paying some bills.  How
did the phishers know? ;-)

Thanks,
Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com